Friday, September 15, 2006

Wwoofing on Bevan's and Margaret's farm in Howard Springs


We started working and living on Margaret's and Bevan's farm on August 1st and stayed there until August 25th. We had to cut, wash, sort, count and bring the flower to town where they got sold. Besides we had to clean the house, hose the terrace, feed and care for the horses, dog, birds and chucks. One day we had to wash Margaret's car and afterwards our bully got a good wash and cleaning. We had fun playing with the water in the garden in our bikinis ;-)! As Bevan and Margaret are owning, breeding and training racehorses they took us to the big Darwin. We placed some bets and enjoyed our time at the racecourse. Besides working around 4-5 hours a day on the farm I had a kitchen-hand job at a restaurant in Cullen Bay, Darwin. I worked there for four weekends: washing the dishes, preparing food like cutting vegeta-bles, breadcrumbing meat or baking Australian pies. The most "interesting" experience was to prepare sheep brain. I had to divide the left from the right hemisphere, throw the middle part away and then breadcrumb all the pieces. The chef asked me if I am a vegetar-ian and I answered yes. Then he doesn't want me to do it anymore but I insisted to do it anyway ;-)! The following weekends that I was working there I always joked about it by asking if I can do it again. My team there was really nice, I always got free food and drinks and after finishing work the team was sitting together in the bar and having two free afterwork drinks. It was also great to earn some extra money for going travelling again. I would have liked to take the job and my colleagues travelling with me ;-)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home